Fedora 11 simple network question

Ed Landaveri landaveri at inbox.com
Sat Oct 31 02:48:15 UTC 2009

Of course. It just depend how you configure the router. No matter what router its you have to configure the connection to your DSL/Cable modem and the connection to your LAN will be done automatically if you leave it to the defaults.

Fedora && Linux in general have come a long way to make sure everything is easy for the end user but you have to do your homework. If you have used Windows you have to install a software to connect to the Linksys router that sucks because it'll slow down your system and you don't need to.

Before you connect the Linksys router write down the modem name, serial and the username && password you use with your ISP. You might need them later. Connect the router to your DSL/Cable modem and your Fedora box to one of the ethernet ports.Open a browser window and type in 192.168.1.1 (the default on Linksys). Choose a password to connect to it. Type in the information needed for the WAN (ISP) connection, you probably won't need since it will receive and external IP address and generate private for your ethernet(wired) and wireless internal network.

If you're not going to use wireless clients disable it or secure it. You choose the method to do it. The easiest is to let only trusted machines to access it to the use of mac address authentication. You have to do this if you don't want free internet for your neighbors as well as open up your already hackable windows boxes if you do have them. Another thing is that if you use the wireless network  you have to research what wireless cards to get for your boxes. You can google for what cards to buy. If you happen to have Linksys cards some of them use the Ralink driver (that will be detected upon installation) or broadcom chips that you will need the firmware. Just follow the instructions that come with the router but configure it through the browser as I explained it to you.

That's the beauty of Linux everything works but you have to do  your homework.This leaves the USER in control a difference of using a proprietary OS like Windows or Macintosh where the sofware vendor is in control. You're just renting the sofware. You don't own your machine 'till you install GNU/Linux.

Since it seems you have done this welcome to the Fedora brotherhood!

|E|d|u|a|r|d|o| |L|a|n|d|a|v|e|r|i|

|G|N|U|-|L|i|n|u|x| |U|s|e|r| |4|3|3|5|1|2|