Question on shredding a terebyte drive

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 2 23:23:24 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 07:34 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 13:32:32 -0700,
>    "Dean S. Messing"<deanm at sharplabs.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have a terebyte sata drive that I need to securely wipe clean.  It

I've found over time that formatting with ext3 tends to remove most
hidden partitions and data.
Formatting can be faster than trying to remove files.
with particularly troublesome drives I removed partitions with dos fdisk
and created 1, formatted to dos 5 then did the same again with ext3.
The most troublesome took about 40 minutes to clean.
Is there a way to set up say 3 or 4 partitions of various sizes, format
each to ext3 then remove the partitions and reformat.
Roger