Fedora11: Plans for updated mesa/xorg packages ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Sep 3 14:10:17 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 02:11 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 09/03/2009 01:34 PM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is a plan to release updated
>> xorg/mesa packages for F11 any time soon ?
>> The F11 ones are very broken, at least for ATI radeon based systems.
>> I have been using code from freedesktops git sources
>> (drm,mesa,xf86-video-ati) and this is now getting there, at least
>> blender works !
>> However, the changes needed to the stock F11 are now getting larger
>> (xserver update) and it would be good to have an RPM based system again !
>
> Do you have bugzilla numbers so we know what breakage you are talking about?
>
> Rahul

There are a large number of ATI R200/R300/R500 bugs listed in Freedesktop's
bugzilla. Two that I have had dealings with are: 21774 and 23232, however
due to heavy development in the xorg/mesa packages there are a lot more
than that. Before using the git sources for drm/mesa,xf86-video-ati I had
various crashes, hangs, system lockups and pixel errors on the screen on both
R300 and R200 based systems. I think it is the same for Intel graphics as well.
I don't like using raw git/non RPM code on my systems, but, without the git
xorg/mesa code F11 is unworkable for me.

Unfortunately the bug, 23232, requires a more recent XOrg XServer. This has
heavy system dependencies and would require me to do a lot of work in building
many packages right down to OpenSSL ...

It seems, to me, that the XOrg/Mesa code has got a lot better since the
code F11 was based on and a F11 update is due. It would certainly help me and
many others ...

Cheers

Terry