Disappearing Kernels during Yum update

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Sep 4 05:12:55 UTC 2009

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Steven F. LeBrun<steven at lebruns.com> wrote:
>
>> Over the past few weeks there have been kernel updates for Fedora 11.
>>
>> When my system receives updates, usually using yumex, and a new kernel is
>> installed, the oldest kernel in my /boot directory is deleted automatically
>> and any "title" commands in /boot/grub/grub.conf referring to those kernels
>> is also removed.  There are only three kernels at a time in my /boot
>> directory.
>>
>> So far this has not been a problem, though I almost lost some special
>> settings in my grub.conf file when old kernels were removed.
>>
>> My questions:
>>
>> What controls how many kernels, vmlinuz and associated files, are kept in
>> the /boot directory?
>>
>> Is there any way to change this to save a different number of kernels or
>> insure that a specific kernel is not automatically removed from your system?
>>
>> --
>>   Steven F. LeBrun
>>

> Your request is showing a troubling trend among posters on this list.
> Many do not make use of the fabulous search engines provided by the
> likes of Yahoo, Microsoft, or Google.
>
> The other trend is that many do not bother to look at installed documentation.
>
> Please do a "man yum.conf" and "man yum" to learn about the most
> important utility in your toolbox. Then edit /etc/yum.conf and change
> the value for "installonly_limit"

Geee....  If you were going to go through the bother to accurately point
out a troubling trend the least you could have done is stopped typing
after "Please do a "man yum.conf" and "man yum" to learn about the most
important utility in your toolbox.".   :-)

--
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" --Ralph Wiggum Lisa the
Vegetarian (Episode 3F03) Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7