Enabling Tabs On Mediawiki

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:08:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Robert L Cochran<cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I recently installed mediawiki-1.15.1. I would like to get those nice tabs
> that you see at the top of this page for "Manual", "Discussion", etc:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuration_settings#Site_customization
>
> Currently my Main Page shows no tabs. How do I enable them? Do I need to
> edit /usr/share/mediawiki/skins/monobook/main.css? Or do I need to edit
> Monobook.css? I don't seem to have a file of that name for my mediawiki
> installation:

<...snip...>
______

When I first tried mediawiki, I installed via yum and used their
instructions[1] to add tab functionality.

Tab navigation is added, but nowhere near the looks of the
web link you provide as example. So I didn't like it and opted
to install from source.
The installation from source gives you the looks and feel to
which you refer. It looks *much* better.

I have no idea what why the yum install does not have a better
looking end product.  Source install looks like the wikimedia homepage.

~af

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Header_Tabs