Enabling Tabs On Mediawiki

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 4 23:53:07 UTC 2009

On 09/04/2009 06:08 PM, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Robert L Cochran<cochranb at speakeasy.net>  wrote:
>
>> I recently installed mediawiki-1.15.1. I would like to get those nice tabs
>> that you see at the top of this page for "Manual", "Discussion", etc:
>>
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuration_settings#Site_customization
>>
>> Currently my Main Page shows no tabs. How do I enable them? Do I need to
>> edit /usr/share/mediawiki/skins/monobook/main.css? Or do I need to edit
>> Monobook.css? I don't seem to have a file of that name for my mediawiki
>> installation:
>>

> <...snip...>
> ______
>
> When I first tried mediawiki, I installed via yum and used their
> instructions[1] to add tab functionality.
>
> Tab navigation is added, but nowhere near the looks of the
> web link you provide as example. So I didn't like it and opted
> to install from source.
> The installation from source gives you the looks and feel to
> which you refer. It looks *much* better.
>
> I have no idea what why the yum install does not have a better
> looking end product.  Source install looks like the wikimedia homepage.
>
> ~af
>
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Header_Tabs

Aldo, thank you for making me aware of this. I'm going to work on
installing from the Mediawiki source just as you have. As I want to try
to save the one wiki page that I've spent hours working on, I'm going
back up my database and configuration files and see if I can treat this
as an "upgrade". That requires an AdminSettings.php file to be present
in the wiki root. There is an /usr/share/mediawiki/AdminSettings.sample
which can be copied to the wiki root. The file is needed for scripts in
the maintenance directory to run. I didn't know any of these details
until I started looking at the "upgrade" page here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading

I will let you know how things go. I'll also file bugs as needed to get
this issue of no tabs resolved in the Fedora version of mediawiki.
Perhaps some needed installation files were left out of the binaries.

Bob

so what I'm getting at is the Fedora