Fedora compile dependence problem - resolved

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sat Sep 5 17:04:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 07:02:46 -0500, John wrote:

>  I am trying to compile an application on a Fedora 11 computer I have but
>  keep getting a missing dependency error when trying to install qt-devel.

Show us more of the output and the full command you entered!

The glibc-common.x86_64 that is installed on your machine is from
updates-testing. The one that Yum tries to pull in is from updates.
Did you forget to enable updates-testing when trying to install qt-devel?

>  Here is the error:
>  -->  Processing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.10.1-4 for package:
>  glibc-2.10.1-4.i686
>  --->  Package nss-softokn-freebl.i586 0:3.12.3.99.3-2.11.4.fc11 set to be
>  updated
>  -->  Finished Dependency Resolution
>  glibc-2.10.1-4.i686 from updates has depsolving problems
>     -->  Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.10.1-4 is needed by package
>  glibc-2.10.1-4.i686 (updates)
>  Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.10.1-4 is needed by package
>  glibc-2.10.1-4.i686 (updates)
>    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>    You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>                           package-cleanup --dupes
>                           rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>  # rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest    returns nothing
>  I appear to have glibc-common installed.
>  # rpm -qa | grep glibc-common
>  glibc-common-2.10.1-5.x86_64

I went down that same route also. I had the fedora-updates.repo enabled so I
decieded to enable the fedora-updates-testing.repo.  I do not like to do this
but for the installation of one dependency I was hoping it would not cause a
problem. After enabling the testing repo I was able to resolve the dependency.
I have now disabled the fedora-updates-testing.repo and everything is working
fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions that finally pushed me in the right direction.