Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 19:51:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Bruce Korb <bkorb at gnu.org> wrote:

> > I'd forgotten how I did it.  You may remember that I said a long time ago
> that
> > you could do it in Activities, but not in desktops.  Now you combine the
> two.
> >
> > Use the desktop cashew to zoom out > create an Activity for each desktop
> that
> > you want - IOW 4 desktops = 4 Activities >  Configure each Activity with
> the
> > wallpaper you want.  Go back to your first Activity and zoom in - you are
> back
> > where you started.
> >
> > Now go to each desktop, zoom out, set one Activity to use that desktop,
> zoom
> > in.  Do this for each desktop.  Now you can use your desktops just as you
> > always did, but each has settings that are independent of each other.
> >
> > Takes a few minutes to set up, but from then on it's as easy as it always
> was.
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> Surely you have to be kidding about the "it's as easy as it always was"
> comment.
> This is not easy.  Especially when you use phrases like, "Use the desktop
> cashew".
> WTF is that?  (OK - I get testy before lunch time...;)  Would you please be
> kind enough to explain the steps to someone who doesn't know a desktop
> cashew from
> a KDE activity?  Thank you so much.  Regards, Bruce
>
> --

Desktop icon in the upper (status?) bar?  There is one in the top-right
corner and another on the bottom-right corner of your KDE screen.  The shape
of the icon is the same as that for a cashew nut.  Not sure whether the
behaviours of each is different.  The upper-corner "cashew" I am fairly
certain should open with options to govern the general desktop behaviour.
 The lower-right "cashew" I think should be for the behaviour of your your
task bar across the bottom of the screen.

/fennix