yum: the package manager I love to hate

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:13:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 11:56 -0400, Jake Peavy wrote:
> > I'd like to buy a vowel.
>
> Yum is not a package manager.

Huh?  "The Yellowdog Updater, Modified (*YUM*) is an open-source
command-line *package*-*management* utility for RPM-compatible Linux
operating systems"

>  > Can someone tell me what package xxd is in?
>
> I use this:
>
> qwhich () { if [ "$1" == "" ]; then echo "usage: qwhich <cmd>" ; fi ;
> rpm -qf `which $1` ;}
>
> $ qwhich xxd
> vim-common-7.2.148-1.fc11.x86_64

Again, I don't see that this is a useful technique. If I had it installed
(such that it appeared in rpm -q or which) I wouldn't need to install it.

--
-jp

If you're a cowboy, and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it
would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a
magazine.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com