home/$user directory files

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Fri Sep 11 12:50:18 UTC 2009

On 09/11/2009 04:15 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 September 2009 01:34:20 andy york wrote:
>
>> I cannot see contents of home/user  search hangs... any ideas on how
>> to fix? Can however go to subdirectories using Places/Bookmarks.
>> Search doesn't work either.
>>

> So when did this start?  Is it a new install?  It sounds to me as though you
> no longer own that directory tree.  Can you, in a konsole, run
>
> ls -l /home/youruser ?
>
> If so, paste a couple of lines from it here.
>
> Anne

I have had similar (or the same) problem recently and was able to track
it down to the ~/.gvfs directory.  After I was able to delete the .gvfs
directory, my problem went away.  The ~/.gvfs directory has recreated
itself and I still see the hang but the hang is not every time.
Unfortunately, I forget exactly what I did to remove the ~/.gvfs; I
think I ended up uninstalling gvfs, deleted the directory and
reinstalled gvfs.

To find the problem directory, I opened up a command window and
performed variations on "ls a*".  All "ls" commands that did not include
.gvfs completed fine while those that did hung.

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there
are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy
stories tell children that dragons can be killed."/
      -- G.K. Chesterton