Dual monitor setup quit working with recent update ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 01:36:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 19:50 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 09/13/2009 07:39 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > Further to my last email, I can now only run a graphical session with my
> > 2.6.30 kernel.   All the others fail to start the x session.
> >

> You can thank your RPMFusion packages for that. The kmod system is very
> bad, but they refuse to use any other method despite my suggestions. I'd
> point you to my personal repo with DKMS RPMs but I'd hate to have all
> nVidia users start using it and my repo run out of bandwidth. Good luck!

I am happy to report that I got my dual monitors working.  I don't know
what exactly did it, but here is what I did.

I suspected that the laptop display was not working due to a power
management issue, ie the screen was dimmed too dim to view.   I
suspected this because I have seen this happen after the laptop comes
back from a suspend event.

So... I went into KDEStart->Settings->System Settings -> Advanced ->
Power Management-> Edit Profiles -> Screen.

I then disabled "Enable display power management" on each of the
profiles, saving them as I went.

The I logged out of my KDE session and logged back in.   The laptop
monitor was then functional.

I'm not certain that power management was the issue, but this sequence
of changes fixed my issue.