Can't upgrade f10 to f11: X startup failed, detected GPU lockup

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 14 05:39:08 UTC 2009

On 14/09/09 06:17, Deron Meranda wrote:
> I'm trying to install/upgrade a system currently running F10 to F11
> (64-bit AMD, 4MB ram).
>
> The anaconda graphical install fails, and it always falls back to
> the text mode install.  I have to use the graphical mode, because
> I need partitioning/LVM/LUKS options that the text mode
> does not support.
>
> This system worked fine with both F9 and F10.  I'm using the
> on-board graphics chip on the motherboard (ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM)
> which is supposedly an nVidia GeForce 6150LE.
>

> Anyway during the early F11 anaconda install it always outputs:
>    WARNING :  X startup failed, falling back to text mode
>
> Looking at the X.log file, I have these excerpts:
>
> ==== X.log ====
> Kernel command line: initrd=initrd.img BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz
> Build Date: 18 May 2009  02:47:15PM
> Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.6.1.901-1.fc11
> (--) PCI:*(0 at 0:5:0) nVidia Corporation C51 [Quadro NVS 210S/GeForce 6150LE] rev
> 162, Mem @ 0xfc000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfb000000/16777216, BIOS
> @ 0x????????/131072
> (II) NOUVEAU driver
> (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
>          GeForce 6   (NV4x)
> (--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV4E"
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on vga encoder (output 0)
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on tmds encoder (output 1)
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 0
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 1
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 0
>
> Fatal server error:
> Detected GPU lockup
>
> ==== End X.log ====
>

> Does anybody have any idea what may have changed in F11, and how
> I can get the graphical installer to run like it did in previous releases?

I managed to upgrade using Yumex and the nvidia drivers found in the RPM
Fusion repositories. Naturally I updated the GUI stuff first, in my case
the KDE and Gnome window managers, and the X-Video drivers.

Perhaps you should try setting the video driver to use to the standard
vga during the upgrade. The nouveau nvidia drivers are new to F11.

After upgrading you may well still have your system using the ext3
filesystem. I also managed to upgrade my Fedora 11 from ext3 to ext4
successfully, but I still made backups beforehand, not to mention good
preparations. NOTE, do not upgrade your boot partition to ext4 as grub
does not support ext4 as far as I know.

JB