FC10 - DVD/W not recognized by K3B

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 15 09:50:01 UTC 2009

>>> I just attached a Samsung USB DVD writer to a FC10 box (hardware is
>>> a VIA EPIA M-1000) and then installed K3B.
>>>
>>> I then started K3B and it reports that there is no CD or DVD writer.
>>>
>>> So how do I go about trouble shooting this?
>>>
>> Oh, there is a /dev/scd0 just like there was on the Centos 5.3 system
>> that use to have this writer.
>
> Further testing results...
>
> cdrdao read-cd --device /dev/scd0 --datafile CD.bin CD-toc
>
> Works fine on an audio CD. But
>
> cdrdao write --device /dev/scd0 CD-toc
>
> Did not work. I was instructed I needed the generic-mmc-raw driver. And
>
> cdrdao write --device /dev/scd0 --driver generic-mmc-raw CD-toc
>
> worked fine.
>
> I could not find anywhere in K3B to set the driver. Anyone have any
> ideas as to why k3b not working?
Here is the output from: dmesg | grep sr

Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4