Yumex: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: fedora

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:45:05 UTC 2009

Hi Jwalant,

Could you please stick to the posting guidelines for the list? Top
posting makes reading and replying in context rather cumbersome. Now
about the issue at hand ...

2009/9/15 Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji <jwalant.soneji at gmail.com>:
> Hi Suvayu,
>
> 2009/9/15 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Monday 14 September 2009 06:42 PM, Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji wrote:
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, what I did was to copy the base URL and paste it in to the
>>> browser address bar. Tried to open each URL, removing last tag if not
>>> found.
>>> This way, it put me to the nearest URL (IITK, India). And then selected
>>> F10,
>>> i386/686, and thus got the new URL, which I pasted in the repo files. It
>>> seems to be working.
>>
>> Or you could have just looked here, :-p
>> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/
>>
> Thanks!
> Please confirm that replacing the base URL with the nearest server address
> no negative consequences.

If you comment out the mirrorlist line and replace the baseurl line
with a mirror of your choice there shouldn't be any problems.

However you do limit receiving updates for your system by becoming
dependent on one particular mirror. If that mirror goes down for some
reason, you would need to edit the line again to be able to update
your system. In your case however this doesn't make much of a
difference because afaik the IITK mirror is the only mirror anywhere
near India.

Hope this was helpful

PS: We should have more mirrors in India, there is a lot of potential
for Fedora to grow there considering the economics of the region.

--
Suvayu