How Fedora chose me

Joerg Bergmann email at jbergmann.de
Wed Sep 16 07:43:36 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 16.09.2009, 00:23 -0700 schrieb Suvayu Ali:
> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 04:48 PM, gilpel at altern.org wrote:
> > Davide wrote:
> >
> > This said, it seems that Debian sometimes reacts faster than Fedora.
> > Whereas LiVES is still, as far as I know, a bug report/wishlist in Fedora,
> > the other distro has it included for the next release:
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/lives
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/lives
> >

> Wanted to remind of some counter examples,
> * Xubuntu 9.04 @ work:
> 	Firefox 3.0
> 	Thunderbird 2.0
> 	Pidgin 2.5.5 (supports only IMs)
> 	Emacs 22.2
> * Fedora 11 @ home:
> 	Firefox 3.5.3
> 	Thunderbird 3.0b3
> 	Pidgin 2.6.2 (with audio/video support)
> 	Emacs 23.1
>
> I find it very inconvenient to use the latest version of most apps on
> Ubuntu. You either have to use some buggy package from universe or use a
> PPA package.
I'm annoyed for having a beta thunderbird available for daily work
for months. It misbehaves. One example: IMAP mode, in a mime
encapsulated message body, the email's text on my PC is replaced by
a text saying "this attachment will be downloaded on demand" or about.
No way to see (or download) the email's text again. I wish to get back
to Thunderbird 2 during beta testing, but there seems to be no
simple way.

Joerg