F11: keyboard issues after upgrade: GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla and keyboard preferences

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Sep 16 16:12:49 UTC 2009

Hello Rodrigo,

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:35 -0300 Rodrigo Renault <rodrigolrenault at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/9/15 wwp <subscript at free.fr>
>

> > BTW, does "IMSETTINGS_IGNORE_ME=yes" tells that it will ignore the
> > GTK_IM_MODULE I previously set in ~/.bash_profile?
> >

> The only thing I found about the "IMSETTINGS_IGNORE_ME" was: "A parameter to
> hide Input Method from the inventory", but I believe that it's not the
> problem.I forgot to tell you that Fedora 11  did not install the immodules
> package by default, so try to install them.
>
> # yum install gtk2-immodules
>
> Then for precaution update your immodules list.
>
> *#gtk-query-immodules-2.0-32*
>
> Then edit your "none.conf" file again, setting "cedilla" input method
> "GTK_IM_MODULE=gtk-im-cedilla".
>
> And finally edit the file "/etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu/gtk.immodules"
> search for the line
> *"cedilla" "Cedilla" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale"
> "az:ca:co:fr:gv:oct:sq:tr:wa"*
> and add your keyboard.
>
> in my case: *"cedilla" "Cedilla" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale"
> "az:ca:co:fr:gv:oct:sq:tr:wa:en"*
>
> Reboot your system, and see your input method
> cat ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf.xml
>
> Search for something like this:
>     <entry name="gtk-im-module" mtime="1229379660" type="string">
>         <stringvalue>gtk-im-cedilla</stringvalue>
>     </entry>
>
> Now I believe that you will be able to use cediila.

Thanks for your detailed help, Rodrigo.

For the record, I could "fix" it by just installing gtk2-immodules
using yum and rebooting. As my ~/.bash_profile was containing:
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla
(as it worked in F10 before my upgrade to F11), and it worked.
I didn't need to do anything more. Since it's working fine I think I
won't follow all the steps you described in your previous email, unless
I want cedilla as default for every xorg user, I presume.

My other problem is still there.. my keyboard repeat delay and rate
settings are not taken into account after a graphical login, unless I
open the keyboard properties dialog and click close. The correct
settings are shown in gconf-editor and modifying values in gconf-editor
does apply immediately. Any idea?

Regards,

--
wwp