cannot boot to login screen

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Sep 17 05:25:53 UTC 2009

I've been trying to set up dual monitors using a second graphbics card, a
project which has so far been unsuccessful. Anyway, the system hardware is
back in its old configuration (without the second card) and the
dual-booted Windows XP comes up without problems. So the hardware is
probably OK.

The problem is I can't complete the boot of Fedora 11. I get to the grub
screen normally and then through the part of the process that brings
up the services. After I see the last "OK" on a familiar list the monitor
starts flashing and the boot hangs. I don't get the login screen.

I assume this is because I've screwed up the settings for the graphics
card and /or monitor.

How do I recover from this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry