Why does laptop battery show < 100% charge

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 18 09:26:27 UTC 2009

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Jatin K wrote:
>> please visit *http://www.batteryuniversity.com/* ...... and gain
>> some knowledge abt batteries
>
> Was that supposed to be general advice? (If so, thank-you – but I’m not
> sure why it was necessary.)

james, this is not to insult or hurt your feelings, but, from what you have
posted, you do not know much about batteries. especially when it comes to
cycling, ie, charging and discharging.

presuming that you battery is lithium-ion, you will not have 'memory' problems
that ni-cad batteries have. but, you will have heat problems.

it is for that reason that you should not have a battery, of either type on
charge for a long time and then remove for a short time of discharge and then
recharge again unless it has drop in level an appreciative amount.

well designed chargers have circuitry to not apply a high charge rate until
voltage level is below a predetermined amount, along with circuitry to
monitor temperature and control high charge rate. cheap charges do not.

in brief, ni-cad cells discharge with a tapered level over time then drop
below usable level. lithium-ion maintain a level over time, then drop sharply.

> Or did you feel that there was some mis-information being given out?
<snip>
> And few readers will have the time to follow every helpful link.

information given to you by others has not been 'mis-information', but some
of it could have been more complete to give you a better understanding.

if one does not care to take time to become more informed, one must be
ready to accept consequences. in this case, shortened battery pack life.

> So could you elucidate further?

if jatin does not 'elucidate', i would not blame him. why should he write
something that he has given you a link to read to find out what you need to
know?

long story to short, rtfm. or in this case rtfl.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.