booting fedora 11 from a fedora 10 grub?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 20 14:06:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 17:05 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> So is there some sort of conversion in the initrd converting from the
> UUId to something conventional like /dev/sdb2, and if so

There's several ways to map one to another.  The "blkid" command will
list the drive partitions for you, detailing device names and related
UUIDs.

> why doesn't just substituting /dev/sdb2 not work.

Perhaps, because when you boot differently, the drives are numbered
differently.  e.g. One system sees that partition as sdb2, another sees
it as sdc2.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686