Alt + f4 switches to virtual terminal

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Mon Sep 21 00:20:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:50:48PM +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Philip Munksgaard wrote:
> > I installed Fedora 11 today on my laptop, and i'm quite liking it so far.
> >
> > I have one small problem though: When i try to close windows by pressing alt
> > + f4, i Fedora switches to a virtual terminal, as if i was pressing ctrl +
> > alt + f4. And it's the same with all function keys.
> > This is quite annoying, and i'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like
> > that, so i figured i might ask for help here.
> >
> > Apart from all that, i've also noticed that alt + left/right arrow switches
> > terminals as well.
>
> Probably a silly question, but do you have two “Alt” keys on your
> keyboard? Does it work the same if you use either “Alt” key?

What type of keyboard, what character set and language do you have?

Do look for changes in keyboard shortcuts.
  System --> Preferences --> Personal --> Keyboard Shortcuts.

I often copy a whole raft of config stuff from my old system
to my new system.   Sometimes this gets me into trouble.

To sort this out, I like adding a new user "newbob" to the system and
see if the new user has the same issues.  If not then it is something
in the old stuff I coppied over.

Do watch for packages that tinker with keyboard bindings.
Some assistive technology is a good thing but requires that
you learn how to use it, commonly they rebind 'anything'.

An X applicaton that has keyboard focus can rebind things toward
it's own end.   Because of this all display windows are not equal
except in the case of Apple.   Thus it is important to specify
what application window is running.  One tool "xprop" can help,
also dumpkeys, "setxkbmap -print" and more.

Later,
mitch

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l