floppy disk formatting: how to?

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Sep 24 02:00:58 UTC 2009

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> I see. But when I look into the actual kernel source:
>
> static struct floppy_struct floppy_type[32] = {
>        { 2880,18,2,80,0,0x1B,0x00,0xCF,0x6C,"H1440" }, /*  7 1.44MB 3.5"
> So the actual kernel source matches the man page. The label string here
> is what the kernel prints when it boots up. That's where, apparently,
> the device node names came from originally. But, looks like, at some
> point, for some reason, a different naming convention was adopted and
> listed in /Documentation, without updating the actual kernel source.
> And, Fedora's udev setup follows the /Documentation convention, while
> MAKEDEV follows the actual kernel source.

I guess things need to be brought in sync. The file I quoted from
was for 2006, so the change was made at least that long ago. It is
the same in the 2009/04/06 version. But I did forget to include this
comment from the end of the floppy device section:

NOTE: The letter in the device name (d, q, h or u)
signifies the type of drive: 5.25" Double Density (d),
5.25" Quad Density (q), 5.25" High Density (h) or 3.5"
(any model, u).	 The use of the capital letters D, H
and E for the 3.5" models have been deprecated, since
the drive type is insignificant for these devices.

Mikkel