Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Sep 25 04:43:32 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Steven W. Orr wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/09 16:49, quoth Bruno Wolff III:

>>> Do you know that you can set up your own resolver/cache instead of a
>>> forwarder/cache and then not have to deal with opendns?
>>>

>> Ok. I'll byte. Where do I start reading? Somebody has to be my resolver.
>> Either I pick it or it's assigned to me by my ISP. Either way,m it seemed like
>> a good idea to cache what I collected and then to make my machines on the
>> inside of my net take advantage of the cache. What am I missing? And I don't
>> understand the difference between what you're saying as different between a
>> resolver cache vs a forwarder cache.
>>

> I tend to consult the official documents of bind.  This is included when
> you install it and can be found at...
>
> /usr/share/doc/bind-9.6.1/arm
>
> file:///usr/share/doc/bind-9.6.1/arm/Bv9ARM.html would get you to the
> manual....  And Chapter 3 has a sample config file for a caching nameserver.

Oh....forgot to mention.....

It may be that your ISP won't allow you to send out DNS queries.  In
that case, you'd have to use the "forwarders" option.  So, instead of
you DNS sever making queries on its own the actual query will be sent to
the IP you define...this would normally be the DNS server of your ISP.

Frankly....I'd recommend you use the "forwarders" approach since this
will allow you to take advantage of the cache your ISP has collected and
should result is quicker DNS responses.

--
I prefer the most unjust peace to the most righteous war. -- Cicero Even
peace may be purchased at too high a price. -- Poor Richard Guess Who!