Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 25 07:35:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 15:08:59 +0800,
  Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> As an aside, I wonder why your email client seems to be ignoring the
> "Reply-To:" in this list mails.  I'm "trained" to only use "Reply" with
> this and other mailing lists and only just noticed that doing so
> resulted in a "To:" to you only and I had to manually adjust.

That isn't the correct way to do things. Reply is supposed to reply just
to the to address (or the reply-to address if that is present). To reply
to the list, you either want to do reply to all or reply to list. There
are disagreements on what is best there.

You are probably getting a copy directly from me instead of through the
list. I think some of the fedora lists break reply-to by putting the
list address in there, which you really aren't supposed to do. When I
find lists like that, I often have a filter remove the broken reply-to
headers. Unfortunately when this is done on a list wide basis it will
break things for the people that have configured their clients to use
reply-to to direct replies back on to the lists in all cases.
(mail-followup-to is a better way to do this.)

I'll try to remember to go back and check the configuration of the various
fedora lists to see which ones if any, mung reply-to headers and make sure
I am not removing reply-to headers from any lists that aren't munging
the headers. The last time I looked was several years ago.