(no subject)

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 25 14:52:35 UTC 2009

Hi..

Trying to run a simple ldap search/query against a supposedly public ldap
server. I've tried a number of copy/paste attempts that I've seen from
various sites with no luck...

If anyone has successfully pinged/queried a public ldap server from the
cmdline, can you post your cmd that you used so I can see what I'm missing..

the site www.emailman.com/ldap/public lists a number of public ldap servers.
i'm simply trying to figure out how to query/access the names from one of
the ldap servers.

as an example, i tried to use:
	ldapsearch -x -h ldap.bu.edu -b "dc=bu,dc=edu" "(sn=tom*)"
	(but this generates a ldap_bind: protocol error...

however, if i do:
	ldapsearch -x -h stanford.edu -b "dc=stanford,dc=edu" "(sn=tom*)"
	or
	ldapsearch -x -h usc.edu -b "dc=usc,dc=edu" "(sn=tom*)"
	then i get back a list of data...

also, the bu.edu for boston university, works on the website...

so, i'm sure i'm missing something simple, but i can't pin it down. any
help/pointers would be 'ppreciated!

my goal is to be able to understand how to query a public ldap server and to
be able to return different data elements.. (ie, name, given, first, or
email/phone/etc..)

Thanks!

-Tom