[Solved] Re: Why update Swahili?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 25 16:00:55 UTC 2009

Tim:
>> The man file might as well be...  It's huge.  Telling someone to read
>> man bash is like asking the to read War and Peace.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Most of it is about using Bash for scripting. The interactive part
> isn't that big, and there are a zillion references in books and web
> pages about basic things like wildcards and environment variables
> ($PATH etc.), most of which aren't even specific to Bash. They're part
> of the Unix culture and anyone who isn't at least aware of them is
> going to have a hard time.

man bash

If ever there were a more appropriate pun...  But seriously, it is a
nasty way to read such a huge file, and the (non man file) alternatives
are easier to deal with.  I found one of those two-inch-thick Unix books
easier to work with than reading man bash.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.