installing new graphics card

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Sep 26 23:49:31 UTC 2009

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to back out of installing a new graphics card on a
> > system running FC11. Is there a file I can backup and then restore from
> > run level 3 if things don't work? I thought this file
> > was /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it doesn't seem to be there....
> >
> If your system works without /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then you do not
> have anything to back up your system is auto-configuring itself at
> bootup. If you find you do need one with the new card, then you can
> just delete it if you go back to the old card.
> Mikkel
> --
Although the new card didn't work I was able to go back to the old
(onboard) one and reboot without problems.

Now, the matter of the new card. It's nvidia GeForce 6200 512MB -- of
the Series 6 (I think) which, according to

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#Nvidia_.28For_GeForce_6.2C_7.2C_8.2C_9_.26_200_series_cards.29

should work with FC11, although gamers on the Web complain about it's
being too old and slow. It works fine through the grub menu and the boot
process up to starting X -- and then the monitor stops getting a signal.

According to fedoraguide a driver for this card can be installed by
running:

yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.

I just want to check this out as a procedure that seems reasonable
before I go further. Also, if it doesn't work, can I go back to the
original hardware, boot to run level 3 and remove the two packages as a
way to restore the system?

Thanks for the hand-holding -- I'd just really like to avoid having to
reinstall FC11....
--Jerry