Ksysguard doesn't show cpu or network

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sun Sep 27 16:12:10 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 27 September 2009 05:58:17 Michael Eager wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> After a recent update, ksysguard no longer shows CPU
>> or Network activity.  When I check properties of these
>> two windows, no sensors are listed.
>>
>> I'm running FC10, KDE 4.3.
>>
>> How do I add sensors to these displays?
>>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think they have been added, yet.  There are
> plasmoids that can be installed on the panel, taking up one icon-space, for
> each of them.

They were there up to a couple days ago.  I'm not sure what
was updated, but they are gone now.

> There are also a couple of superkaramba plasmoids that give incredible amounts
> of information, but they are so big you probably need a separate desktop for
> them, and I'm not sure that you can confine them to one desktop without using
> the activity-per-desktop, which on some systems causes problems but works
> perfectly on others.  As an experiment I ran the lappy widget and Automatik on
> a desktop, and the combined display took up 50% of the width.

I've looked at the system monitor plasmoid, but I'm unimpressed.  In the
panel it's cute but not informative.

On the desktop, it takes up a lot of space while giving little information.
There are all the mis-features of plasmoids:  I can't put the monitor on
one desktop window -- it's on all windows.  I can't iconify it and I can't
click on bring it in front of other windows.

I didn't find the lappy or Automatik widgets.

Since the kde system monitor seems to be broken, I'm using the Gnome
system monitor.  It's not as configurable as ksysguard, but it works.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077