DVD burning issue

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:55:18 UTC 2009

On 9/27/2009 1:01 PM, Les wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 22:12 +0200, mo wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 17:09 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Isn't CD functionality supposed to be included in DVD functionality?
>> I thought that DVD is sort of backward compatible with CD.
>>
>> By the way, I have also experienced this Burning issue.
> Ok, I missed the post asking why I was trying to burn the live-cd ISO.
> I didn't see that in the name... Therefore I didn't know it was an
> issue.  Meanwhile I downloaded another image and finally found a
> bugzilla which said the problem was related to checksum generation for
> the image.  I turned off the checksum and was successful in writting the
> DVD image, but the system I wanted to check would not boot from its DVD,
> due to a bios restriction.  I then came back to my system and attempted
> to burn a cdrom, with no success.  Then I added K3b to my system and
> used it to burn the cdrom, and succeeded.  It appears that brasero has
> some fundamental problems, and the error #12 was returned in all cases
> of trying to burn the image, and the image would not work.
>
> However by turning off the checksum plugin of brasero, I was able to get
> a dvd and by loading and running k3b I was able to get a CD, so I now
> have both, and a lot of "junk" disks which brasero never finalized,
> which I have tossed out.
>
> I'm a dim bulb when it comes to these cd and dvd formats, so I will look
> up the differences.  But I do realize that the raw form of the iso image
> must include the disk structure, so it would be unlikely to work.

So now the 'fun' begins?  :-)

As I said - I have seen several people say that writing CD iso(s) to DVD
disk(s) works. When I first say that I tried several times, to test this
only, but I was not ever been able to do that successfully. And, to me,
it just seems as if it should not work and a waste of my time.

BTW - A Fedora 12 Live-DVD was talked about sometime ago. It was
supposed to allow room for both the GNOME and KDE desktops. I did not
see the resulting final decision. As many threads do it meandered OT and
I lost interest in the OT.  :-)

--

  David