BIOS update

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Sun Sep 27 19:32:00 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:
> Dear all!
> I would like to update BIOS on my desktop. It has gigabyte motherboard
> and manufacturer provides only exe-utility for BIOS update. I was
> trying to follow this tip:
> http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos-windows-no-floppy-drive.html
> It is possible to boot into FreeDOS but it's impossible to run
> BIOS.exe. The error is: 'This program can't be run in DOS'
> I have VirtualBox installed on the computer. Is it possible to update
> BIOS from window$XP on virtual machine as guest?
> Thanks in advance!

No, because virtual machine can't see the real bios at all.

Is that update program really dos-program? Sounds like you have gotten
windows program for yourself. You could try to run it in winxp first to
see if it is really an archive which will unpack the real update
program. Or it's a floppy formatter.

You should probably check the instructions which are accomppanying that
exe on what they say of running it.

-vpk