Update to 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586 duplex problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Sep 30 13:59:01 UTC 2009

Anton Buenavista wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
>> Anton Buenavista wrote:
>>> Recently updated kernel to 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586 and now my Fedora
>>> system won't boot up.
>>>
>>> It boots up to the splash screen after which I am greeted with an "alt1
>>> 0000:02:00.0: eth0 link is up 100 Mbps full duplex" on my screen. It
>>> stops there and I am unable to do anything but restart. The old kernels
>>> still work. Can anyone advise on how I can remedy this?
>>
>> Kevin J. Cummings suggested:
>>> Have you disabled RHGB and looked at where it hangs during startup?
>>
>> Disable the “quiet” kernel parameter, too.
>>
>> For a one-off check, you would do this by selecting the kernel you want
>> to boot in grub (you’ve evidently found how to do this), press “e” to
>> edit the commands before booting, move down to the kernel line, press
>> “e” again to edit the kernel command line, and remove the “rhgb” and
>> “quiet” words. Then press Enter a few times.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> James.
>>
> Hey all!
>
> Sorry for the late reply. Had a lot of work.
>
> I disabled rhgb and quiet at boot.
>
> The boot process exactly stops at "Registering binary handler for
> Windows applications". I think this is a Wine issue.
>
> Please advise.

This is likely to be a video issue, I saw it on several machines. To test:
1 - using the edit command line procedure, add the option "3" (no quotes) to the
boot line, and see if the system comes up in no-X mode.
2 - assuming you allow ssh into the machine, try to ssh into it after it seems
to hang, the machines I saw with your symptom were up, but counldn't display.
3 - try adding "video=vesafb" and/or "vga=0x318" to your command line. You may
need "xdriver=vesa" as well, I solved the issue by building a 2.6.31 Kernel.Org
kernel, and recent Fedora PAE kernels have worked for me without tricks.

Hope some of this helps, sorry it's late, other things to do the last few weeks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>