reorganizing /home's

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 30 19:52:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 12:13 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I'm dual booting F9 and F11.
> There is a partition that mounts on F9:/home and on F11:/home.
> I suspect that my ~/.* directories are stepping on each other.
> I want to reorganize so that the to-be-former home partition
> mounts on F9:/homes and on F11:/homes.
> F9:/home would be a symbolic link to /homes/F9.
> F11:/home would be a symbolic link to /homes/F11.
> User fred would have home directories with canonical names
> /homes/F9/fred and /homes/F11/fred .
> Each would have a symbolic link to /homes/fred,
> his old home directory.
>
> Once upon a time, I would boot from a live CD,
> reorganize the directories, and edit the fstabs.
> IIRC fstabs now get rewritten at boot time.
> Mere hand editing won't do the trick.
> What will do the trick?
>
> Also, is there a way to use labels instead of those awful UUIDs?
> I concede their usefullness if one has
> a lot of disks or a lot of turnover.
> I have four disks.
----
first, the fact that you are dual booting F9 and F11 demonstrates the
need to use UUID's

second - if you want to muck around with /home, probably better to just
mount and 'bind' mount (see 'man mount') because then you won't have
issues with things like selinux but remember that you will have to edit
the 'users' $HOME in /etc/passwd to reflect the change for each
installation...

(assuming /home/Fedora11/ is where users home folders are)

i.e.

mkdir /home/F9
mkdir /home/F11

edit /etc/fstab
/home/Fedora11 /home/F11   bind,rw  0 0

edit /etc/fstab (dangerous) might want to use system tools to do this
craig:x:500:500:Craig White:/home/F11/craig:/bin/bash

I'd probably forget about symbolic links but you might be able to make
them work

Craig

believed to be clean.