Installation plays hardball

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:24:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 11:35 -0500, Beartooth Comcast wrote:
> I tried to increase the size of /boot any way I could, and
> never found any way to add a single byte.

Note that you can only do that if there's unassigned space after the
partition you want to grow. If there isn't, you have to create it. For
example the following is a typical layout (ignoring swap for
simplicity):

|<-- / -->|<- /boot ->|<------ /home ------>|

Assuming that /home fills all the remaining space, you'd need to first
shrink it:

then shift it rightwards:

and finally grow /boot:

In gparted you just set all this up and then the program will figure out
the best order to execute the various operations to get the result.

poc