control-C and yum update

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jan 4 12:14:51 UTC 2010

Paul Allen Newell writes:

> A quick question which is hopefully just "an education request" ...
>
> While reinstalling f12 on a machine that I "messed up", I was following
> all my notes and directions and reached the point where the install was
> successful and it was time to update. I did a "su -l" and then typed
> "yum update". I realized I had forgotten something and immediately did a
> "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the "yum update". To my
> surprise, it ignored it until it got to the first confirm and then
> proceeded to kill the process. No problem as the update was stopped but ...
>
> I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and
> was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it.

Probably because if you interrupt packages in the middle of updating, you
have an excellent chance of FUBARing your entire system.

This has been a long standing problem with rpm. If you interrupt a long
update, you'll end up with both the old and the new version of affected
packages installed. That's always fun to clean up.

Don't do that.