firefox disk IO

I've been having a lot of problems with firefox periodically becoming unusable while it pounds away at my disk. It comes back after a while, but then does it again. I tried web searching and found some recommendations about turning off "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries" but that didn't help.

Are others seeing this? Is there a solution?

Wayne.