firefox disk IO

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Mon Jan 4 22:45:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Wayne Feick <waf at brunz.org> wrote:
> I've been having a lot of problems with firefox periodically becoming
> unusable while it pounds away at my disk. It comes back after a while, but
> then does it again. I tried web searching and found some recommendations
> about turning off "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web
> forgeries" but that didn't help.
>
> Are others seeing this? Is there a solution?

I have seen that in the past.  I'm not sure what improved things for
me; maybe the two block options you mentioned.  You may also want to
try cleaning up your database files, as described here:

http://garmahis.com/tips/how-to-speed-up-firefox-by-cleaning-its-databases/

Of course, it could also be related to an extension you're using....

reid