Re: reboot cycle, no log messages

Okay, I had a little more time this morning, so, ...

On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:11 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

On Jan 3, 2010, at 12:51 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Joel Rees wrote:
yum provides libfreebl3.so tells me that nss-softokn-freebl is
installed. Trying an erase to re-install it tells me that most of the OS and most of the apps seem to be dependent on it, one way or another. Hmm.

Bypass yum.

  rpm -V nss-softokn-freebl

or/and

  rpm -Uhv --replacepkgs --oldpackage nss-softokn-freebl.....rpm

Well, yeah, I'm expecting to use that as a workaround. (Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying to remember the --replacepkgs option. :-)

Ended up using yum reinstall. Didn't change anything.

Are you on 32 or 64 bit? If 64, maybe the libs are incomplete.

32 bit.

Seems odd this hasn't bitten others yet. I'm hoping it doesn't mean the hard disk itself is dying, or that LVM has issues with my setup and is corrupting the file system.

So I checked my command history, and apparently I still thought the missing file was libfreeb13.so when I searched for it before, rather than libfreebl3.so. (erk) So it was probably never missing, which is comforting to know. Sort of.

Anyway, I ended up commenting all the old file system partitions out of /etc/fstab and that allows it to boot. That's okay, because I can mount them by hand once I'm logged in, and I probably should copy all the files I need in from backup instead of just making them available where they were.

But I'm going to file a bug on this, I think. Whatever the reason it won't mount the old stuff during boot, it shouldn't try to drop me to a shell and then force a reboot because it can't load the file necessary to allow me to drop to a shell. I had to boot from a rescue install at one point because the reboot cycle would never end.

Joel Rees