any fundamental difference between fedora and suse NFSv4?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 5 07:04:27 UTC 2010

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm currently reviewing a doc on suse linux enterprise 11, the
> section on NFS, but i don't have a SLES 11 machine in front of me.
> could anyone who uses both SLES 11 and fedora 12 comment on how
> indistinguishable the NFS setups are across those two distros?
>
>   so far, i haven't seen a lot that's massively incompatible, and i
> wouldn't expect to.  obviously, the fundamental files are going to be
> the same.

I've had a bit of extra time and did install an openSUSE vm.

While the underlying structure is the same, e.g. both systems have
/etc/idmapd.com, /etc/sysconfig/nfs.  But, it doesn't appear that suse
uses nfsmount.conf.

openSUSE separates the startup services into client (/etc/init.d/nfs)
and server (/etd/init.d/nfsserver).

openSUSE seems to have GUI tools that are a bit "better".  The tools for
nfs client and nfs server are separate and seem "better" integrated with
their firewall tool.

All that said, I've been able to mount a directory using nfs4 on the
suse system that was exported from a f12 system.  So, far I've not found
the right incantation to do the reverse.

I should say "thanks" for bringing this sort of thing up.  Nice
diversion to normal things and a new procrastination excuse.  :-)

Ed

FWIW, I've not spent any time trying to get a pure nfs4 environment.
IMHO, it doesn't buy anything.