Recover Root Password on FC 11 and Missing GRUB Screen

All,

I have a client who lost root password for his machine running FC 11. I made an attempt to recover password by booting in single mode. I am familiar with editing the GRUB boot menu and appending "linux single" to make the server boot in sigle mode.

My surprise, the machines boots differently. I noticed one major thing that looked different from other versions of Fedora I have used before. It does not bring up the Grub menu. It does not even show the services startup. It goes straight into login prompt bypassing all other stages which I guess run from background.

Any I dea?

I am told this has just started after loss of this password. Looking forward to your useful tips.

Hosea