reboot cycle, no log messages

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 09:33:03 UTC 2010

In case someone searching for something finds this thread (or I find
myself forgetting things I've done again) and the following
information helps:

I ended up filing a bug, and in the process thought of checking a few
more combinations. Checking those led me to discover I had /dev/sda
(n) and /dev/sdb(n) reversed on the partitions/file systems that were
actually causing complaints.  Specifically, it was not the LVM
partitions giving me the problems, that was just where the messages
were making it to the screen. It was me trying to mount /dev/sdb4
instead of /dev/sda4 (or was it the other way around?) in /etc/
fstab . (who'da thunk? especiallly with the zero-length partition
thing 8-p)

(I left the bug there because the error messages could be improved,
but my problems are solved.)