Re: Any linux-based microSD utilities?

On 01/06/2010 01:54 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
On 01/06/2010 12:48 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
However,
the device doesn't automount, nor can I mount it from root.
> If the card has failed, I'd like to try and recover whatever data I
can.

You could have a card failure or a corrupt filesystem (or both). Try
reading the card with something like:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=myflakeycard.dd bs=2M conv=sync,noerror

If that succeeds, the disk is probably OK. Usually they're vfat
filesystems, so look into how to recover those.

 > Can the card be made useable again through some sort of formatting
utility?

something like:

mkfs -t vfat -n yourphonenumberhere /dev/sdb1

works in my phones and cameras. That'll wipe your data of course. The -n
flag is optional, but in theory a number there will help an honest man
return your lost device. It worked once for me anyway.

-Bill

You might also try to read the data with "ddrescue". Good luck.

John