Re: Best way to get minimal system

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 16:11 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
My solution to installs for little machines is a box I got from
Newegg, has a USB connector and PATA inside for old drives (SATA
available as well), and I install on a real computer with lots of
resources, even if I'm running on next to nothing.

To transplant the drive to another computer?

I've done that, but you have to beware that you can install a system
that won't work (without some fiddling) on another computer.  I've been
lucky that there was only a minimum of fiddling required, but it's
possible to create a system that can't read the hard drive, and you need
to know how to rebuild the initrd to resolve it.

I'm reminded that I built a disk image of the proper size on a KVM virtual machine, and then used the adaptor and dd to do the "install," with seek time issues minimized by a pure sequential write. THat was KVM from cli, I have no idea if you could do that from any of the GUI tools.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>