[Fedora-livecd-list] Project goals and infrastructure...

neville n.richter at qut.edu.au
Wed Apr 13 00:02:19 UTC 2005

Alexander Larsson wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 02:19 -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:
>

>>So IMHO, most of the hard work has already been done. What's needed
>>now is a unifying spec or wishlist that can be used to pick, choose
>>and merge the best parts of all this good stuff into a Fedora specific
>>build system. I'd be willing to draft a strawman spec for you all to
>>laugh at if one doesn't already exist. :)
>>

>It might be interesting if the people who have done live cds could list
>what changes they have done to make them work. Then we can take these
>changes and try to get them all into the distro. When everything needed
>for the live-cd is in the core distro, all that is required is a
>fedora-livecd-creator package with some script to create a live cd from
>a fedora core tree.
>
>Some changes needed:
>
>* squashfs
>This would be nice, zisofs is included in fc and works, but squashfs
>would perform better.
>
>* init script changes
>There are likely a few init script changes needed. The stateless linux
>changes added some stuff to /etc/rc.sysinit that could be used.
>(The /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root stuff). Maybe some more changes are
>needed, we should then try to get them in.
>
>* Additional packages
>Does the live cd need some package not currently in the distro. If so,
>we should try to get it in. (I guess this means both packages needed on
>the live-cd and packages needed to build it.)
>
>What other changes do we need in order to make a script that can
>generate a live-cd from a random rawhide snapshot?

Hello all, another two cents worth,

I think it would be wise to choose at least one compression technology
and also use copy-on-write filesystems as this will allow maximum
useability and least change to the installed distribution.

It would also be nice if the distro image generated for the CD was part
of the Fedora installation processes, the workstation image is not
suitable.  A custom distro image should developed which includes some of
the workstation and server set of RPMs and could be called the fedora
demo or live cd image.

The Xendemo CD is a good starting point as this would the CD start
multiple copies of Linux as well.  The startup scripts are easy to
understand and writing a new set of scripts for the Fedora livecd will
not take long.

--

regards Neville
email: n.richter at qut.edu.au  room: S745 Gardens Point

Neville Richter, Senior Lecturer
School of Software Engineering & Data Communications
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
Box 2434 Brisbane 4001 AUSTRALIA