[Fedora-livecd-list] Starting point

Glen Eustace geustace at godzone.net.nz
Tue Aug 16 22:47:34 UTC 2005

One of the biggest problems I have had on my current project is finding
an appropriate starting point.  I looked at a lot of the LiveCD
implementations and the majority are aimed at the complete functionality
end of the spectrum. What I was after was the exact opposite, absolute
minimal functionality.

At present, the minimal install of FC4 still installs way too many
things for what I wanted. There are dependencies on packages that I'll
never need or use and it is proving difficult to cut it back.

It would be great if the build environment and the result could be
totally independent. i.e. actually start with a clean slate (empty
CD :-) and add only those things one really wants. All the supporting
stuff used to manage the installation and the whole process e.g. python
and lots of others should only need to be present in the build
environment not the resulting CD.

I am looking at CDs for Kiosk-like solutions. It would be great to
simply drag across the kernel, networking and a browser, satisfy the
dependencies on that lot and leave the rest.

At this time, I have used an FC4 minimal install and the ADIOS/YETAA-ATK
and then tried to remove everything that I don't want. A tedious
process.