[Fedora-livecd-list] Dealing with dependencies.

Glen Eustace geustace at godzone.net.nz
Mon Aug 22 20:21:44 UTC 2005

The sort of dependencies I am having trouble with are things like this.

I installed firefox and end up installing howl :-(

Howl is not something that I need nor want, I get
howl because, it is required by how-libs
how-libs <- gnome-vfs2 <- firefox.

These sort of dependencies are not an issue when one is dealing with a
full distribution. They do become an issue when one is wanting to keep
the number of packages at a minimum.

I wonder whether there is possible a need for 'optional dependencies'.
If something isn't there is is not needed for normal functionality but
with it one gets more or better integration.

Glen.