[Fedora-livecd-list] Config file format proposal

neville n.richter at qut.edu.au
Tue Jul 19 02:48:01 UTC 2005

Dirk Westfal wrote:

>On Monday 18 July 2005 15:04, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:47 +0200, Darko Ilic wrote:
>>

>>>But we decided that image build won`t be done by anaconda. The concept
>>>can be seen on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveCD.
>>>

>>This means that you're going to have to be able to duplicate all of the
>>setup types of tasks which anaconda does as well as duplicate all of the
>>system level setup changes which occur on a per release basis :/
>>

>That was one of the reasons for me to 'clone' anaconda: to try to develop
>modules that could be used as some  kind of 'snap in' to extend the normal
>(and thoroughly tested) install process with functions to put that
>installation into a livecd.
>
>Since anaconda provides everything to safely install into a dircetory/harddisk
>from a parent system... well - one of my secret dreams was (is?) to have
>'livecdinstall' as just another type of install aviable in anaconda ...
>
>Perhaps it is possible to use the anaconda codebase at least for the initial
>installation of the 'master' system - even if the livecd-installer is not
>included in anaconda (and does not have any  gui/wizards):
>The image creation would be run by an external script - as defined in the
>concept.
>
>Imho that could/would safe a lot of manpower: we get a proper install 'for
>free' and just have to create the tool to modify and put it onto a cd/dvd
>media.
>
>With two configfiles (one beeing the default kickstart and one as the
>livecd-build config file) we would also guarantee that every livecd system
>can easely be installed to harddisk.
>

>>Jeremy
>>

>Dirk *leaning out of the window, so hit me now* Westfal
>
>--

Hello,

You should just use as much as possible the Fedora Core installation
scripts.  Just add an extra RPM (to the Fedora Core distribution) to
replace the kernel with a bootcd kernel (which supports unionfs and
squashfs), and an RPM containing the busybox startup stuff (I am working
on this for the yataa project, I have made the bootcd kernel RPM and
will soon start the bootcd RPM) see http://dc.qut.edu.au/yetaa

--

regards Neville
email: n.richter at qut.edu.au  room: S745 Gardens Point

Neville Richter, Senior Lecturer
School of Software Engineering & Data Communications
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
Box 2434 Brisbane 4001 AUSTRALIA