[Fedora-livecd-list] Got a LiveCD built using Kadischi? Give us a URL!

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Wed Sep 14 21:52:14 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>
>> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so I know that some of you out there have actually *used*
>>> Kadischi now. Link yours in by putting the URL on the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveCD
 >>
>> ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/40000/en/iso
>
> Just give this one a test run. Worked out fine. Bootup and application
> startup speeds were pretty low.

Yes. It's starting all sorts of unneeded services too.

Perhaps the prelinker would speed this up (?).

> . Ran into a couple of minor bugs with
> initscript trying to relabel the filesystem and running fonts cache both
> of which failed due to the storage being read only. I didnt like the
> theme or the icon set but thats a subjective taste

Ya, there are a number of things on boot and during running that need
fixing. This was definitely a "quickie".

> A comprehensive set of differences in the packages and other
> customisations you have made would very useful.

Most packages are either FC, FC-extras, or RPMforge. If they are custom
blag ones, they have "blag" in the name (e.g.
initscripts-8.11.1-1blag.fc4.i386.rpm). The SRPMS for all packages are
available on our ftp site. Note, most of the changes I made are very
cheeep. ;)

> I would also like to
> know about your previous Live CD efforts and experiences

Years ago I did a very small live CD for wireless routers. Definitely an
"in-house" project though. I spent a small amount of time looking at
options for making FC-based livecds, but I put the project off until
kadischi came along and solved it for me. :)

I should also note that I have been working on BLAG, a FC/RH-based
distro, since RH7.3 (and using RH itself since the beginning).

> and if you see
> an oppurtunity for colloboration. For example, code improvements or
> features the tool and Live CD could use. Just throwing out an idea

I'll definitely forward ideas and fixes I come across to this list or
'zilla. If you check the archives I've sent a few already.

I also did another "brainstorm" LiveCD that I haven't made public--I
just wanted to test out the idea.

Basically, the minimal live cd (220 megs currently) boots up and just
starts X and metacity. It then connects via NX (or VNC) to a remote box
which presents a GDM login screen. The user logs in and does whatever
they want to do--but the whole session is running on a remote machine.
Using NX, it's quite fast and is usable with VNC.

I plan to refine this LiveCD (called BLAGSQUAT) so people without
computers have a "permanent" desktop and place to store their files.
They can go from cafe to cafe, boot up the live CD, login, and all their
files/bookmarks/etc are there. :)

Later,

-Jeff