[Fedora-livecd-list] Argh! Disappearing devices

Darren Humphrey dhumphre at simulation.com
Fri Sep 30 22:02:46 UTC 2005

I've been pretty successful with the live CD part so far but I am
struggling with make a compact flash card bootable.

My biggest problem right now is some sort of process in Fedora Core 4 is
managing whether or not /dev/hdd1 and /dev/hdd2 exist.  I have an IDE/CF
adapter card installed and I have partitioned the CF card into two
partitions with Linux file systems.  However whenever I try to make an ext
file system on the CF card, I get errors about the devices not existing.

I am not really familiar with udev and hal....is there a way to configure
the system to NOT try to automatically create/delete /dev entries for /dev/hdd?

Thanks,

Darren Humphrey