[Fedora-livecd-list] usefulness of non-zisofs, 'dual booting' scenarios

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 05:27:21 UTC 2006

--- Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:

> I agree that having options for tradeoffs make sense.  And I think that
> in the absence of xattrs in squashfs, ext2's SELinux support is a big
> feature that can be seen in this light.  I haven't seen the same kind of
> compelling reason for zisofs.  To the end-user booting the LiveCD the
> non-loopback case isn't going to be visible.  To the creator, kadischi
> hides the complexity for either case.  Most developers wanting to peer
> inside the ISO from outside the LiveCD environment are going to be able
> to mount the filesystem and will be willing to do that for the superior
> performance that squashfs gives.

The motivation I see for wanting to add regular old iso as an option (not even
zisofs) is for the user to see files in the iso.  And rather, the user (of
kadischi)'s users.

I.e. imagine that Chitlesh has his marketing videos (and other media/material)
in the generated CD.  You might want to include a simple autorun.inf so that
when the cd/dvd is inserted in a windows machine, it automatically launches a
web browser with links to thumbnails of the video, and a webpage touting what
this livecd can do.  Along with the livecd's instruction manual.

When actually _booted_, these same files are launched in a full screen
webbrowser immediately after gdm autologin.

This way, at a trade show, you can hand the dvd to a non-techie-non-linux
suit&tie type, and tell them it will launch an info page in a browser if they
put it in their microsoft box.

If you really want to be slick, you even include a run-from-cd installation of
firefox-win32 and qemu-win32(or vmware), and then people can even choose to run
your appliance-cd purely from within windows.  At least just to demonstrate.
You reiterate that it will run faster if you actually boot from it.

-jdog