[Fedora-livecd-list] Start in runlevel 5, add user accounts?

Mark Komarinski mark_komarinski at hms.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 14 15:38:32 UTC 2006

Jasper O'neal Hartline wrote:
> Mark Komarinski wrote:
>
>> Two problems I'm having with kadischi.
>>
>> First, the system never starts in runlevel 5, always 3.  Somewhere
>> during the ISO creation process I get "cannot determine current
>> runlevel" which may be related.
>>
>> Second, is there any way to create a non-root user?  I don't want
>> people using the root account to log into the system.
>>
> Anaconda should be setting the correct runlevel according to packages
> installed.
> Do you have a list of packages you are using?

I'm rerunning this now and the cannot determine current run level
happens in 04userconfig.py.  There's no anaconda-ks.cfg that gets
created that I can see, or is it elsewhere?  I selected X and GNOME, so
that should mean that anaconda knows X is installed.

> As for the user you could probably run a few chroot/utilities.
> This is something I think would be good for Kadischi, the only downside is
> the password would be known.

I think I have a fix, but I'm testing it out now.  I created a
07sleep.sh that just sleeps for 5 minutes.   That's the last thing I
have running, so while that goes on, I chroot into the image, create the
  user I want, fix the runlevel, and change my xorg.conf.

I think longer term the solution would be to have instead of a sleep for
5 minutes something like "hit enter now to chroot into the image, make
whatever changes you want, and things will continue when you leave the
shell".  Also a great way to add extra packages or run updates.  It's a
bit more manual, but a lot more flexible.

-Mark

Mark Komarinski				mark_komarinski at hms.harvard.edu
Sr. Research Systems Architect		http://ritg.med.harvard.edu
Research IT Group