output redistribution issues again, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 15:44:05 UTC 2006

--- Jane Dogalt <jdogalt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi/Legal
>
> I hate to be obtuse here Chitlesh, but seeing as how finally someone (Chris)
> clearly has _precisely_ the same question as I do, I need to reiterate that
> your supplied legal link does not answer my question.

Ok.  I _think_ that reading the bottom most section of the wiki page, that the
answer to my question is clearly "Yes, no problem".

And especially now that I read the link to the redhat/fedora trademark
guidelines, which I believe has changed signifgantly in the past 2 years, I
think the answer is really "absolutely, no problem".

My confusion, and I'm hoping to clear up other people's confusion here as well,
stemmed from what I believe was a historical guideline which forbid the
_inclusion_ of fedora/rh copyrighed artwork and trademarks in a derivative
distribution.  In which case, merely having the fedora-logos.rpm files would
make something unredistributable.  Perhaps this was never the case.  Certainly
judging by the succinctness of the current trademark guidelines, and the
following quote, it appears that my #2 case, and Question: below, are
absolutely not a problem-

"Red Hat does not permit or consent to any use of its trademarks in any manner
that is likely to cause confusion by implying association with or sponsorship
by Red Hat."

Although the more specific question is-  If people see a fedora logo on a gdm
login screen on an iso called jane_dogalt_is_the_coolest.iso, would that "be
likely to cause confusion by implying association with or sponsorship by Red
Hat"?

For my own purposes, I still think it will be wise for my own project to have a
post install script which removes the fedora-logos.rpm package, so that users
of my output needn't worry about splitting that legal hair.

-jdog